Freelancer Matters is a project that aims to provide legal assistance and empowerment to the long neglected group of freelancers in Hong Kong. The ultimate end is to fill up the current gap that freelancers are neither deemed to be needy (hence not served by NGOs) nor vulnerable (hence not protected by the legislation). To achieve this goal, Freelancer Matters will empower freelancers with real-life legal knowledge and potential abuse that they may face with the joint efforts from peer freelancers, pro bono lawyers, student volunteers and current unions and associations. They believe that it would prevent their clients from abusing these freelancers’ ignorance of the law and making a benefit out at their expense.
- To protect freelancers against potential abuse by their clients;
- To create a cohesive community amongst freelancers; and
- To promote a more supportive and sustainable working environment for freelancers.
- Ho Sik Tung, The University of Hong Kong
- Hwang Man Hong Michael, The Chinese University of Hong Kong